The Bookstore is located in Durham, Ontario
Here is a little bit of history for you:
Durham was founded on May 1, 1842, by Archibald Hunter, from Scotland. Durham became one of the first ever self-sustaining communities in Canada through the flour and saw mills belonging to John Edge, founded in the 1840s. Those mills were purchased by Robert McGowan in 1888, hence the Durham landmark McGowan Falls on the Saugeen River.
Durham, Ontario is 44 kilometres South of Owen Sound and 89 kilometres North of Guelph on Ontario Highway 6. The middle of the town is the intersection of Highway 6 and Grey Road 4. On the South side of the intersection, on Highway 6/Garafraxa Street South, a few buildings down, is The Bookstore
Small outside …but large on the inside!
The earliest information that we have for the building that houses The Bookstore is from 1906. It was a legal agreement that the building next door could attach its building to our side wall.
In the years since it’s been a family home, a Radio Repair Company (Cordick), an Automotive Garage (McCurley), a Ladies Clothing Store known as the D.F. Shop for over 20 years, and the Pontyprid/Garafraxa Street Bookstore for over 15 years. In November, 2011, the building became the Country Best Eis & Bookstore, selling both books and Italian gelato (ice cream). In 2016, the books took over. We became The Bookstore.
The Bookstore carries rare and gently used books of all classifications. Organized by the genres and alphabetically, making it much easier to look for specific books. Carrying used comics, DVDs, CDs, Celebrity Memorabilia, New & Used Treasures, Jewelry, Tins, Stones, Key Chains, and more. A little something for everyone